THE LARGEST SIXTH FORM LEADERS CONFERENCE FOR BOTH THE INDEPENDENT AND STATE SECTORS - OUR 2OTH YEAR
WE HAVE EMAILED ALL CONFIRMATION LETTERS. THERE ARE NO PLACES LEFT.
IF YOU HAVE BOOKED BUT HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR LETTER THEN CHECK THE 'ATTENDING SCHOOLS' LIST TO SEE IF YOUR CENTRE IS LISTED AND IF YOUR CENTRE IS LISTED THEN CLICK ON THE VENUE MAP TO JOIN US AT THE ROYAL NATIONAL HOTEL, BEDFORD WAY, RUSSELL SQUARE, NR EUSTON. NEAREST TUBE RUSSELL SQUARE - 3 MINS WALK
WE START AT 9.35AM. REGISTRATION FROM 8.30AM. WE FINISH AT 3.45PM
MANAGING THE SIXTH FORM EXPERIENCE TO DRIVE UP STANDARDS : PRACTICAL STRATEGIES AND RESOURCES
For Sixth Form Leaders. Book your place to get up-to-date advice, lots of practical strategies and range of really useful resources we have commissioned for you to take away and re-use.
- HOW TO DEVELOP SUCCESSFUL INDEPENDENT LEARNERS: AN INNOVATIVE SYSTEM ACROSS ALL SUBJECTS
- Shanti Healy is a pioneering Subject Leader in Bullers Wood School
- Shanti will outline the system she has developed and other centres are now adopting.
- The session will provide you with a logical, clear and effective system that can be developed in every subject area.
- Find out how you can introduce it in your sixth form.
- RE-THINKING PARENTS' INFORMATION EVENINGS TO HELP DRIVE UP POST 16 STANDARDS
- Shanti Healy, pioneering Subject Leader in Bullers Wood School
- Shanti Healy will outline how to get parents on board to offer more effective support at home
- This session is timed so that you can introduce the event to parents in the Autumn term
- Get parents adding genuine value in terms of exam grades and supporting mental health
- UNIVERSITY BRIEFING : NEW GCSEs, AS LEVELS, CHANGES IN A LEVEL CHOICES, IMPACT OF UNCONDITIONAL OFFERS
- Mike Nicholson, Director of Student Recruitment and Admissions, University of Bath
- Mike will outline the latest thinking from competitive universities with regards to undergraduate admissions.
- What are universities viewing as an acceptable GCSE 'C' grade - a 4 or 5?
- How is the GCSE 8 & 9 grade likely to be used?
- How have Linear exams affected A Level subject choices and how are universities responding?
- With the decrease in AS take up, what is proving to be the impact on degree offers?
- UNCONDITIONAL OFFERS: HOW TO MOTIVATE STUDENTS TO MAKE SURE THEY STILL AIM FOR HIGH GRADES
- Stephen Thomas, Higher Education Consultant
- Stephen is well known for his amazing ready-made resources your tutors can use.
- We commissioned Stephen to produce a resource you can use with students to encourage them to still aim for top A Level grades despite being given an unconditional offer.
- Stephen will take students through the grades they need for graduate training schemes and employment post degree to provide the incentive students need to aim high rather than slip a grade, which is what the evidence suggests is happening.
- DEVELOPING AN 'A LEVEL ENTITLEMENT': WHAT EVERY SUBJECT NEEDS TO DELIVER TO ENSURE SUCCESS
- Kate Thomas, Lead for Teaching and Learning, DfES Wales and former Head of Sixth
- Consistency of subject performance is key to gaining 'outstanding' and is what we all want as sixth form leaders.
- Kate Thomas is now lead for developing teaching and learning for DfES Wales and will provide an 'entitlement' which all A Levels have to provide as a minimum.
- An Entitlement will help sixth form leaders secure a measure of minimum consistency across all subjects and will be a key element of your raising standards agenda for 2018-19
- INTRODUCING 'MASTERY' IN ALL LEVEL COURSES TO IMPROVE RETENTION OF SUBJECT KNOWLEDGE
- Lisa-Jane Ashes, author, teacher, and lead teacher trainer
- Mastery is quickly replacing the buzz of differentiation on teaching checklists. What is mastery? How can mastery be taken from being the "buzz word of the term" and made into a practical approach for teaching that works?
- Mastery will focus on the essential skill of recall and how we can adjust our teaching and learning to ensure students go into an exam knowing and applying the key information.
- Real, honest and practical ideas to make mastery work for your students and your teachers too.
- STRETCH AND CHALLENGE: INTRODUCE THINKING SKILLS TO ACHIEVE TOP A LEVEL GRADES ON SYNOPTIC A LEVEL QUESTIONS
- Michael Senior, Director of Sixth Firm and CEO Netsixthform
- Even though students need to master recall of key information, they also need to answer synoptic questions well to reach top grades.
- In this session, Michael will outline how we can use a strategy-led approach rather than resource-led to stretch and challenge students so they can more effectively tackle the linear synoptic questions.
- MENTAL HEALTH: EXPERT ADVICE TO HELP STUDENTS DEVELOP BETTER SLEEP PATTERNS
- Karen Hodes, Senior Educational Psychologist & a Sleep Practitioner
- Each year we aim to provide a session on mental health to help students cope with the pressure of achieving high grades: strategies students also need for life in general.
- In this session, Karen will equip you with an understanding of teenage sleep to enable you to advise teenagers and parents on the best ways to motivate them to improve their sleep.
- Karen will also provide a range of relevant and practical tips to take away and re-use in your sixth form with students and parents.
- TUTORIAL TIME: NEW IDEAS AND RESOURCES TO DELIVER AN OUTSTANDING SCHEME
- Kate Thomas, former Head of Sixth and DfES (Wales) Teaching and Learning
- This session will provide you with a range of strategies and resources for tutorial time that deliver on raising attainment as well as developing the wider sixth former for life beyond sixth form.
- If you are looking for an easy way to innovate your tutorial scheme then this session is a must!
- CHOOSING DEGREES AND APPRENTICESHIPS: HOW TO HELP STUDENTS MAKE THE PROCESS MORE STRAIGHT-FORWARD
- Daniel Keller, CEO Unifrog
- Daniel will take delegates through how the popular online tool can support students as it has been developing continuously, especially in terms of choosing apprenticeships.
- Unifrog have also analysed data regarding student choices and will present a picture that will help sixth form leaders support their students with a more informed position.
- NOT GOING TO UNIVERSITY: A COMPREHENSIVE OVERVIEW OF THE VERY LATEST OPTIONS
- Stephen Thomas, Higher Education Consultant
- We have commissioned Stephen to develop a detailed and ready-to-use guide you can give to tutors or use for assemblies on options other than undergraduate degrees.
- Stephen will outline the latest on apprenticeships, degree apprenticeships, courses about to come on stream for post 16 students.
- This is the resource you need when you want to help students understand the options when they don't want to go to university.
- IMPROVING PERCENTAGE OF STUDENTS ATTENDING PRESTIGIOUS UNIVERSITIES WITH THE ADDED BONUS OF RAISING GRADES!
- George Morton, Head of Sixth Form, Reading Bluecoat School
- Although George works in an independent school contact and this session will obviously appeal to this sector, any sixth form who wants more students to secure places at top universities will get a lot from this session.
- George has approached the challenge comprehensively from Year 11 onwards, with tutors and all staff. He has looked at predicted grades strategies to one-to-one advice about 'back door' choices as well as how to work with universities and how to approach clearing.
- This session will provide experienced heads of sixth with lots of food for thought.
- LEADERSHIP TRAINING TO MANAGE CHANGE - AN INTENSIVE OVERVIEW OF USEFUL STRATEGIES
- Michael Senior, Director of Sixth Firm and CEO Netsixthform
- Over twenty years of management experience, training and research as well as experiencing management when it goes well (and when it doesn't!), Michael is well placed to pass on some tips to help other sixth form leaders.
- Michael trains Middle and Senior Leaders in his centre and in others around the UK and will provide delegates with some key essentials for managing people in a time of change.
- Too few sixth form leaders get management training so this should prove a welcome session.
- EPQ - WHY OFFER IT AND HOW UNIVERSITIES ARE USING IT
- Sally Rix, Assistant Head of UK/EU Recruitment, University of East Anglia
- In this session Sally will outline the way a range of universities use the EPQ as part of the undergraduate admissions process.
- Provide key resources written by UEA to help teachers and advisers equip students with the relevant skills to succeed in the EPQ.
- 'ACCESS TO A LEVELS' OPTION PATHWAY: AN INNOVATIVE WAY TO INCREASE THE NUMBERS ON ROLL IN YOUR SIXTH FORM
- Michael Senior, Director of Sixth Firm and author
- Michael created a new option in his sixth form which has effectively increased the size of his sixth form by over 60 full-time students.
- Find out about his Access to A Levels option model to help you grow your sixth form whilst supporting students in their aspirations.
- This session could be worth your conference fee alone.
Read Reviews (58)
"Packed full of incredibly useful sessions." By Head of Sixth, Northwood School on 20th Jul 2018 The day was jam-packed full of incredibly useful sessions. It will take me several weeks to process everything I’ve learnt and I’m sure it will have a huge impact on the development of our sixth form.
"Really wonderful ideas to take and use directly." By Head of Careers, Rendcomb College on 20th Jul 2018 Really wonderful ideas to take and use directly with staff and students. Real issues and excellent strategies to help.
"Useful, broad ideas and resources." By Head of Sixth, Aylesford School and Sixth Form College on 20th Jul 2018 A blistering pace of a day, packed with useful, broad ideas and resources.
"Intense, quick-fire and hugely useful." By Head of Careers, The Royal School, Haslemere on 20th Jul 2018 Intense, quick-fire and hugely useful – thank you.
"An excellent conference." By Head of Careers, Consett Academy on 20th Jul 2018 An excellent conference packed with lots of techniques, ideas, strategies and tips on a wide variety of topics. I left with lots of resources to take away and ideas to consider.
"Today gave me solutions." By Head of Careers, St Augustine’s Catholic College on 20th Jul 2018 Today gave me solutions to problems I have been milling over for weeks.
"Effective strategies." By Head of Careers, Fairfax Academy on 20th Jul 2018 Effective strategies that can be implement the next day.
"An excellent variety of speakers and topics." By Head of Careers, Omagh Academy on 20th Jul 2018 An excellent variety of speakers and topics from different perspectives.
"Wonderfully waffle-free." By Head of Sixth, Nower Hill High School on 20th Jul 2018 The whole conference was wonderfully waffle-free. Everyone who spoke was hugely informative and got straight to the point. I learnt so much.
"Fantastic range of speakers." By Head of Sixth, Claremont Fan Court School on 20th Jul 2018 Fantastic range of speakers. Huge range of resources to take away and use immediately.Read More Reviews